Bible Reading Plan
God has given us His Word, the Bible, “which are able to make us wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” (2 Timothy 3:15)
The Word of God is central & foundational in our corporate worship, our expositional preaching, and in the lives of individuals and families. Because of this, we want to resource you to read and understand the Bible. And we want to invite you & challenge you to open God’s Word and read.
Sometimes your reading of God’s Word will be in-depth study while other times will be broadly soaking it all up. Sometimes it will be slow, noticing the details, while other times you’ll read big chunks of Scripture, noticing the big picture.
Our goal is to help you consistently, dependently, prayerfully, and thoughtfully to be in God’s Word.
To that end, we invite – even challenge – you to jump in with us on the “Bible Reading Challenge”. Beginning in September, we’ll practice (& grow) a daily habit of reading Scripture, and we’ll make our way through the whole Bible in 9 months. Then, during the summer, we’ll continue this as we read through the New Testament from June-August. And we challenge you to invite a friend, coworker, neighbor, family member – someone you know – to jump in alongside you!
“Imagine a great table, loaded with the best food, perfectly prepared. This is how we view the Word of God, and it is our joy and privilege to encourage Christians to find their seats and share the bounty of it with us. The reading plan is simply the menu, the challenge is to become Christians who live and breathe the Word of God.”
It’s not about feeling a weight of guilt if you miss a few days and ‘get behind’ – it’s about a daily feast on God’s Word and about growing that habit together!
Some words from the official Bible Reading Challenge website…
We have two major goals.
- We want to see you succeed! We are all about helping you overcome those obstacles that have kept you from the Word. This is a down to earth, practical and realistic plan without any guilt.
- We want to encourage you to invite people to join you in reading and talking about the Word. This is not our secret food, but a world wide feast!
Bible Reading Challenge Distinctives
- If you fall behind, jump back in! If you missed breakfast and lunch, you don’t have to eat them before you can eat dinner. Eat with us now! Always start with today’s reading. The plan includes catch-up days because we understand real life!
- Theologically diverse, literally on the same page. Because our focus is so Word-centric, we can trust our differences to the Holy Spirit. We are free to simply encourage one another without worry. We are not teaching Scripture to one another, but rather sharing a love of Scripture with each other.
- Don’t let your perfect ideal be the enemy of a good habit. You can’t possibly get everything out of it – but don’t worry. You will be back! Because our goal is lifelong reading of the Word, you will have many more opportunities to understand that passage more.
- Our pace is fast, but not nearly as fast as you might think. Time yourself reading (just normal reading!) 2 Timothy. This is a four chapter book, and about the daily reading length for the summer. In all likelihood it will take you much less time than you expected! If you still don’t think you have the time, check your screen time!
- Nothing is for sale in the Bible Reading Challenge. This is a grassroots ministry of people who love the Word. You won’t need to buy anything, subscribe to anything, or charge your friends to join you!
- Our goal is habit formation, not a one-off perfect performance. We want to help you overcome those obstacles that have been keeping you from the Word.”